4.0 out of 5 stars A premium product, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Contour +2 HD Handsfree Action Camera (Electronics)
I was so excited to take delivery of this camera (and I really don't get excited about much these days, believe me) and spent many hours stroking it and reading the instructions. I hadn't been too bothered about the GPS feature but IT IS A SUPERB IDEA. Imagine watching a video of yourself flying along on your skis/snowboard/mountain bike etc. AND HAVING THE SPEED DISPLAYED NEXT TO IT!! HOW COOL IS THAT?? I downloaded Contour Connect from Google Play (free of charge) and the camera immediately connected to my Galaxy S2 via bluetooth. A real time image was displayed on my phone's screen and I could start and stop recording from the phone. AMAZING! I loved it and knew I had made the right choice. Had I? Well, not for me, no.

Unfortunately the camera is NOT WATERPROOF unlike the much cheaper Roam2. It's 'weather resistant' and Contour support said that, as a rule of thumb, if you can see water in the grooves and joints then you should put the camera in the waterproof case provided with the camera (which is waterproof to 60 metres). Unfortunately this virtually quadruples the size of the camera which is unacceptable for my purposes. The naked camera would be ok for snowsports I suppose, which is what prompted me to buy the thing in the first place, but I would mainly use it on my bike in the UK, where it rains a lot. So no good.

Why, Contour, why? Why could you not make the camera itself waterproof down to 1 metre like the Roam2? I have sent the camera back to Amazon and plan to purchase the Roam2 as a replacement, but I am gutted that I will have to do without the GPS/bluetooth functions.

AND ANOTHER THING. A good selection of mounts should be included with the cameras, never mind £17 for this mount, £25 for that mount etc. The cameras should AT LEAST come with a headband mount. With the profile mount and surface mount that came with the camera I couldn't actually wear it. So I had no choice but to purchase a headband mount for SEVENTEEN QUID. Cheers.

Anyway, despite my bitter disappointments, I have only dropped one star. Contour customer support was swift and friendly and I really like the Storyteller program that Contour provide (free of charge).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 May 2013, 14:52:26 BST
The unit is advertised on the Contour website as "The camera is built with a bomber aluminum body and is highly water resistant, perfect for rainy bike rides or any type of snow shredding.". You don't need the waterproof case for a bike ride in the rain. If the unit becomes damaged, then you can get your money back as this would be false advertising on the part of Contour.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013, 21:55:13 BST
Like I said, Contour themselves said that "if you can see water in the grooves and joints then you should put the camera in the waterproof case". Nowhere in the literature or on the packaging that came with the camera was there any mention of the suitability of the camera for 'rainy bike rides'. The Roam 2 is waterproof down to 1 meter and my gripe is that they should have done that with this camera as well. I wasn't about to go out for a rainy bike ride, get water in the camera and then start squabbling with some customer service department trying to get my money back.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›