3.0 out of 5 stars Great OS but not as well built as I had hoped., 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch Laptop (Dual-Core i5 2.4GHz, RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB Graphics SD card slot (Personal Computers)
Having owned and operated PCs since the early 90's I was looking to replace my laptop. I decided to stretch the budget and bought a 13" MacBook Pro (alternate was a Samsung Chronos or Dell XP15Z). The deciding factor for me was the aesthetics of the product along with a reputation for build quality and customer service/satisfaction. I admit I was intrigued to try out a new OS too.

The laptop was quickly delivered and I have to say initial impressions were great.

Good:
Battery life is really good achieving around 6 hours web surfing. Be warned though that if you load the CPU battery life drops to just over an hour!
Keyboard is as good as any laptop I have owned (keyboard about on par with my last Lenovo).
Touch pad is excellent and the gestures truly add to the ease of operation.
Screen is bright and clear although slightly small (but then it is 13.3").
OS x is excellent; it was easy and quick to learn.
The computer is quicker than a PC of the same specifications when comparisons have been run.

For those of you who worry that a Mac is hard to upgrade or replace the battery, it isn't just use google. I have upgraded the RAM to 8GB and added a Seagate 750GB hybrid HDD which has greatly improved boot and application load times (22 seconds to boot, 1 sec for safari)

So what isn't there to like?

Bad:
The Mac is no where as robust as it seems.
Customer service is poor.

The first flaw was that the software had not been allocated to my apple ID (created to buy the laptop). This was a problem that apple care could not solve but was resolved after multiple e-mails to the apple ID help centre in the USA. It did however take me well over an hour on the phone and many e-mails to resolve.

The second problem after just two months of ownership the charger dropped onto the lid of the laptop from only 10cm. Unsurprisingly the charger (plastic) was completely un-marked. Unfortunately the same couldn't be said of the laptop which now has a very small dent in the lid. I am an extremely careful person and this was a very small knock. I have to say I was very disappointed in how easily the laptop was damaged. I now have a protective case (macally) but it is a real shame to cover up the good looks of a computer that you partially buy for that very reason.

So in conclusion, the MacBook Pro 13" is a very capable laptop but I have to say I wouldn't buy one again. I can justify spending a lot on a computer that is good quality and going to last but I no longer believe that to be the case. If you do buy one please do buy a hard case as unlike other laptops I've owned a laptop bag/carry case just wasn't sufficient.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jan 2012 21:17:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jan 2012 21:20:00 GMT
G. Siden says:
Sorry, rewind, you drop something on the macbook that makes a dent in it and that makes Apple A BAD COMPANY? Err I think not. As for their excellent and widley recognized and praised customer service I have no idea why everyone else is wrong and you are right? If you start to see a pattern, look at your self first.....no chance you made a mistake here?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2012 10:47:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2012 10:52:07 GMT
A. Westwood says:
Thanks for your comments. I would like to point out that this was a review rather than a statistical analysis. I never stated that Apple are a "BAD COMPANY" but merely reflected my experience in the hope that it might assist others.

The facts:

The charger that weighs 215g dropped from 10cm and dented my MacBook Pro; I have (foolishly perhaps) dropped this same charger from the same height to check and it causes no harm to a "normal" polycarbonate laptop lid.

Apple estimated £50-60 when contacted to fix this and when I drove (round trip 2h30) to the Apple Store based on this estimate I was told that it would cost £300-400 to fix and that "I should not have been offered an estimate over the phone". Why is that my fault?

I nearly returned the computer after 5 days as I was frustrated with Apple's lack of helpful support with software problems. Even still a number of my peripherals do not operate correctly with mac OS (this includes a 2 month old Belkin router and a 5 year old Samsung printer). While this isn't necessarily Apple's fault it does affect your experience with the product.

A key factor when purchasing this product was the "robust" reputation; a reputation which in my case seems to be un-founded. Hopefully this clears up what was intended to be an un-biased review.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2012 08:02:03 GMT
Marc says:
Your software problems don't seem too bad when you consider what can (and does) happen with Windows...

Your Belkin router should work fine - routers aren't usually machine specific. Newer printers of course can be better for drivers.

We've got two of these 13 inch Macbook Pros in the family - 2009 models - and yes it is best to keep them in a foam sleeve. Neither of ours have any marks and one is owned by my teenage son.

Posted on 22 Mar 2012 10:08:11 GMT
It is always helpful to read the slightly critical reviews of a product as some throw up problems that can be deal-breakers. Your review was helpful and balanced, so thank you for it. My suggestion is that I would have wanted to know more about the software problems. The impression out there is that Apple products work 'out of the box', and if that is not so, that is a reason to look elsewhere. It sounds as if you are perhaps a bit too careful about appearances. Aluminium is a soft metal. Remember saucepans in the mid-20th century? It is amazing they can make it attractive at all. Life dents things; real robustness is measured by whether it works or not after a real bashing.

Posted on 22 Mar 2012 16:10:50 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Apr 2012 17:41:44 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2012 13:08:09 BDT
alan watts says:
apple are noted as bad for their customer service. I have a friend who for 6 months has been waiting to reply to emails and phone calls. He is rightly angry because they have over £60 of his money which they have never refunded.

Posted on 14 Apr 2012 18:02:08 BDT
I love Apple products, have the macbook and iphone 4. Fortunatly my macbook doesnt have any dent or scratch yet, but your case opens my eyes, a nearly thousand pounds laptop and so fragile. Still, I would never go back to Windows, have to use it at work and all sorts of problems happen.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 08:18:48 BDT
N. Ragavan says:
I have used windows laptops and something has happened in the last 3 years or so (XP, Vista, Windows 7?) that makes everything flow v smoothly. It is definitely OS related. That said, hardware does matter, especially in the area of wifi connectivity. My samsung netbook can connect to anything, but my husband's fujitsu something laptop, huge thing, cant. But I wouldnt give up on windows, mainly because of the software out there. I am thinking of getting an airbook, but will set up dual booting for that reason.

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 10:29:54 BDT
Joel Nichols says:
I had a Macbook Pro logic board fail after 18 months - confirmed on forums etc to be a defect with the product. Apple quoted me £1,200.

My experience with Apple ended there.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 09:11:50 BDT