on 3 May 2014
From the description of the dictionary I got the impression that this dictionary is the father of all visual dictionaries out there and that it is the best of the best and contains every word you would need. Now, I don't say that it has few words it has plenty of words but the problem for me is that it doesn't label such essential words as "EYEBROW" I mean the picture of the human being is drawn and not all parts are labeled...."eyelash" is labeled and the "EYEBROW" is not. And there are many more essential words that are not there such as "bedside table" or "night stand". In short there are plenty of words missing that you would use in everyday language so it is not worth paying a high price for a bulky dictionary if you are a language learner and then not get some of the most useful words. If you are a native speaker then perhaps you will learn some of the words that you have never heard of. But from my perspective as a language learner I give one star to it as it did not meet my expectations. It even did something worse it upped my expectations I waited for the dictionary to arrive with excitement and then felt disappointed , frustrated and angry...I had thought that my "The Heinle Picture Dictionary" wasn't good enough, but now I have apologized to it and we are having coffee together again :)

p.s. the paradox is that I was not able to find some of the most essential names of furniture while others are covered two or three times a "walk in closet" for example is illustrated and labeled two or three times so I went to a furniture store picked up a FREE catalog and learned the words I needed from there...paradoxical isn't it? But what does that say about the BIGGEST the MOST THOROUGH visual dictionary on the planet that contains 25 000 definitions?
8 people found this helpful