on 21 June 2012
Firstly, the item that I received was not the same as the one I ordered: I asked for a 2-port card as per the photo, but received a 4-port card. Installation was speedy, I had the Molex splitter already fitted to my PC, so it only took 5 minutes to fit.

I installed the driver as described in the instructions & that should have been it: ready to go. I fitted a blue USB3 extension cable, plus a standard USB2 extension cable & tried to transfer files to my GoFlex USB3 external hard drive. What happened next was worrying: at first the files started to copy, but at around 20MB/sec, which was slower than the standard USB2 transfer rate to this drive; normally around 27MB/sec. Then the card stopped working & uninstalled itself. Next, my PC froze & would not shut down, so it had to be unplugged, which is a no-no! I removed the USB3 blue cable & plugged my devices directly into the card, effectively eliminating any compatibility problems. Later, I found the blue USB3 cable to be faulty as well, so it was a good move to take it out of the equation. Unfortunately, the card still uninstalled itself & froze my PC.

I removed & re-installed the card into another PCI slot, having carried out a system image restore on my PC to make sure there weren't any residual files that could corrupt the new installation. Exactly the same things happened; even trying different leads & external devices gave the same results. I carried out SEVEN system image restores in one day, & even checked the voltage levels within the PC to make sure they were OK, which they all were. I contacted the vendor, who was very helpful & I sent the card back for a refund. I refused to accept another Tecknet card as I had no confidence at all in the product.

I have since fitted an Octigen USB 3.0 PCI Express Card, which is 2-port, gives a transfer rate of around 50-70MB/sec & worked straight out of the box. It cost £12.59 & is well worth the money. I can't fault it: it even works with my Archos 5 internet tablet, which is the most fickle device I own!
55 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?