VINE VOICEon 15 August 2011
A quote from Job is not quite my idea of a book title but with Swedish authors, anything is possible. So, another crime mystery set in Northern Sweden. Having just finished 'Midwinter Sacrifice', the similarities in certain aspects of each book is interesting. I wasn't convinced in the book just mentioned about a ghost floating through the pages and, although this one here is less angst driven, it's still a ghost/spirit which does some of the storytelling. It doesn't work for me but no doubt those who believe in the hereafter will disagree.

Anyway, disregarding the ghosts, the book is a decent enough mystery. We do know who the killer is quite early on, so the story is more about unwrapping the layers of hardnosed procrastination by the families involved.

In essence, the murder of two young divers, searching for a downed German Junkers JU-52 which sank into a lake during the war, leads to a story of collaboration with the Nazis, the after-effects today and a difficult investigation for Prosecutor Rebecka Martinsson and Inspector Anna-Marie Mella. This is, I think, the fourth book and it's obvious that certain events in previous books are relevant to the relationships. But this doesn't affect the storyline. It's easy to put together what may have happened and I'm not so enthused that I want to read the earlier books.

The author paints a vivid scenic story, an interesting view on personal relationships in a small, dying community with a history of hardiness only those who live there can really appreciate. The finale reads well though whether it takes the readers where they'd like to go is open to question.

I liked Martinsson who, of course, has a mixed-up relationship between work and her lover - but then, don't they all? It's the way you tell 'em, I guess and this author does a good job. We shall see in the next book, I'm sure, just where all this might lead. Now, I need to find an author from another country for a brief respite before I pick up my next Jo Nesbo book.
What's this?