on 25 June 2004
I think I may still have a few Robert J. Sawyer books around, but I've destroyed most. He has quite an anti-Catholic bias, and in fact I was told at one time that his Quintagilio Ascension series was an analogy used to poke fun at the Church. This series also isn't free from this bias with the main character, Mary, who is meant to be a Catholic, using Birth Control despite the fact that the Catholic Church sees it as a mortal sin and it being condemned explicitly by Pope Paul VI in his encyclical Humanae Vitae. Also I faintly remember her talking about a confession (in regards to the use of birth control) - I think that the character withheld information during the confession - again something that would be a mortal sin (i.e. sacrelige).

But that those aren't the only objections I have to this series - besides any anti-catholicism that lurks within it I am also upset by it unnecessarily diverting the plot with rape, and sex scenes between the Mary and the Neanderthal (I forgot his name).

I would definitely not recommend this book.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink