on 28 June 2009
I don't know why I bother!

I try to avoid getting invested in new series as I don't like the idea of being hooked to my couch for another hour per week. But, every now and then I'll catch something or be told about something that peaks my interest.

As there has been a lot of great American series' lately with British actors in the leading role (House & Lie to me featuring highly on that list) I decided to check out another - Life.

I won't go into the ins and outs of the story, there are plenty of reviews already on that. But, I will point out that, after the grit of the aforementioned House & Lie to me it took me a few episodes to feel this was up to par. But after about the third episode I was leaving each episode desperate to see the next (which is why I always get these things on DVD now or download them now). By the end of season 1 I was completely hooked and had to get a hold of season 2.

Getting to the end of that my wife and I were both keen to find out when season 3 was going to be coming out only to find to our horror that NBC have cancelled it!

Apparently they are focusing more on the 'reality TV' genre. Morons!

So unless another network decides to pick this fantastic series up, I'd suggest it may be worth avoiding if unresolved plots annoy you.

I can't understand these American networks. The last time I got really invested in a series it was Shark. Again, 2 series and cancelled. The thing is, they make these things where the first seasons are fairly well tied up (in a way) but once they get the 2nd they finish the story more confident they will have a third season to run the plot, so cancelling it then is extremely frustrating.

Usually with these things it is due to ratings, but it is normally (as with Shark) due to the network moving the viewing time all over the place and putting it up against high rating series like American idol etc.

In this case apparently NBC shifted the schedule time a lot and put it on at very low viewing times (late on a Wednesday night etc) yet the viewing figures still grew. So what gives?

Anyway, this is just a warning. The series is really great, but it might be worth waiting to see if another network is sensible enough to pick it up before investing time and money to an unresolved story.
11 Comment| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?