on 7 October 2011
Very impressed with the Xoom it has changed my surfing habits, I mostly use the Xoom for Internet research instead of my workstation. It's a bit heavy in the hand, but the battery life makes up for that, it seems to go on and on and on. While on holiday in Europe this year I used a Navigation App to do all my overland navigation, the built-in GPS gets a fix really quickly and again the battery life meant I could complete a long route without needing to charge up. The built-in camera is sensitive in low light albeit a bit grainy and switching between front and back camera's is great for video chat's. The Android app market seems to be chock full of interesting stuff and so far I've not had many bothersome compatibility issues between the Xoom Android version and apps designed for mobiles. Occasionally some apps don't respond to rotating the screen properly or just can't make use of the larger screen over a mobile phone.

I've had the web browser crash a couple of times on websites with email clients built in, but the Xoom itself has never crashed, if an app crashes it tells you and Android cleans up the mess. The on-screen keyboard ought to have some way of changing it to give you a more personalised input method, it has .com as a shortcut, why not give the option to change that and others to .co.uk or whatever locale type is appropriate.

Handling to start with is a little tricky, you have to avoid touching too far in to the screen when swapping hands so as not to fire off an app or in one instance I managed to accidentally click an instant buy button for some personal item when swapping hands!

The hardware itself has a quality feel about it over and above others I have fondled in high street stores, but is slightly heavy when using it for prolonged periods. Using the 3G function when not near a hotspot is great but sometimes orientation can have a big influence on signal strength. I suspect this is going to be a problem in all these kinds of tablets just like the iPhone signal problem, the antenna is crammed into the case out of sight and warm moist hands are going to affect the mobile signal. Speed is no problem the processor seems to be capable of handing everything I've chucked at it including watching videos without stuttering which is more than can be said of others types I've tried in-store.

Overall I'm very happy with the Xoom, it's a bit pricey but I feel you get what you pay for with this kit.
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?