on 20 October 2013
We bought this kettle approximately 6 months ago after searching around everywhere for a quality kettle. I always read customer reviews on various websites before I decide to buy most things, but on this occasion I spent weeks reviewing kettles.

We settled on this one because of its good reviews and the look of it as we wanted a metal kettle, even though it was in my opinion, very expensive for something that boils water.

Initially we were very impressed. It feels expensive when you have hold of it, it looks good, it's no noisier than any other kettle, as other reviews have stated and we soon realised that the hype over the various temperatures that it boils water to, is worth investing in. I love my gadgets and to have a gadget kettle was very exciting initially.

I am a big coffee drinker, both instant and ground and I have found that drinking instant at 85 degrees and ground at 95 degrees really does make a big difference in the taste of the coffee. When you drink it at the old fashioned 100 degrees that most other kettles boil to, the coffee tastes a lot more bitter. I also drink a lot of ginger and vanilla tea and again that tastes really nice brewed to 90 degrees rather than 100. So I am really happy with that facility and I would really miss it if any future kettle didn't have it.

So you can probably tell so far that within the first few months both myself and my wife really loved the kettle. However over the next few months the kettle started to irritate us and here's why:-

1) The word 'Open' on the button that opens the lid completely wore off. Not what I expect from a so called £80 kettle.
2) The silver paint on the handle on the power switch is wearing off, making the kettle look cheap and not worth what we paid for it.
3) The only way to switch the blue LED light off is to turn it off at the mains
4) Sometimes if you turn it off at the mains when it's still hot you get an error code when you switch it back on and it can take 4 or 5 goes to get it to work.
5) Sometimes if you try and switch it off in the middle of a boil you get an error code and the kettle won't work for up to 30 minutes.
6) When there's not much water left in it and you're pouring out the last little bit in the kettle, the spout seems to divide the water into 2 streams and one of the streams always misses the cup.
7) Sometimes you press a temperature button then press the power button and the kettle just sits there and doesn't boil, a bit like its crashed. Switching it off and on again at the mains cures this, but its very annoying.
8) Finally the outside body of the kettle gets very very hot. I know all kettles get hot to touch but this one is like nothing else I've ever come across in all my years of buying kettles. The metal outside seems to somehow be ever hotter than the water it contains (even though I know that's probably impossible). Just the slightest touch even for a nano second and you're left with a nasty burn. I still have a mark on my arm from a burn 2 months ago.

So there you go - to sum up - a very expensive kettle that initially appears to be really clever and fantastic quality. However after living with it for a few months it makes you realise that it's not good value for money and its not a high quality product as cuisinart would have you believe. Please think carefully before buying it as I'm really not sure how long this will last.

I might stick to a good old fashioned kettle next time or another gadget one that alters the temperature, but probably another make.

UPDATE:-

The kettle is now approximately 13 months old and things have not got any better. The paint on most of the buttons has completely worn off and now you can see cheap clear plastic underneath. The word 'open' on the button for the lid has worn off. The kettle keeps switching itself off at 50 degrees (this happens almost every day) and at some point most days it stops working altogether and needs resetting at the mains. All in all I feel as though it was a bad purchase of a poor quality kettle which is vastly overpriced. Hence I have reduced my score from 3 stars to 1 star as I am really unhappy with it.

If you really want a kettle that boils at different temperatures, I would advise that you find a different kettle.
11 Comment| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.