on 2 May 2005
I previously used ICS (Internet Connection sharing) to share my ADSL internet connection wirelessly to a laptop. This method was flawed and I very rarely got wireless speeds of over 1Mbps. I bought this gateway to try and solve the problem and it is perfect.
The gateway was extremely easy to set up and the accompanying documentation was very comprehensive. The whole package is excellent; the router sits anywhere and works as it should. I have had no problems with noise or over-heating and I always get at least 48Mbps wireless connections and 100MBps wired connection. There are also many features such as port forwarding, for online gaming, a strong firewall, Wireless 128 bit WEP encryption and much more (all accessible through an easy-to-use admin console). The built-in modem allows me to connect to my high-speed ADSL connection (Tiscali) at full speed. It is connected all day, every day and if the connection is lost, it will automatically re-dial. However, if you prefer to only log on to the internet when you want to access it, the router can dial-on command too. The gateway can also only allow specific MAC addresses which is a useful feature for creating an extremely secure network. Wireless print and file sharing all work well too, as well as LAN gaming.
Overall, this is an excellent product - far superior to the Netgear gateway, which my friend purchased, because his overheats requiring the whole gateway to be left inactive for an hour and then reset. With the Linksys WAG54G, you get fantastic speeds (both wired and wireless), plenty of features and a very reliable gateway for an excellent price.
NOTE: When I bought this gateway, I received the WAG54G V2 which is basically the improved version of this product that supports ASDL 2 and includes bug fixes. I imagine that all buyers will get this and not the original version, so I can also recommend the gateway for those on ADSL 2.
What's this?