3.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric but Forgettable, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Warpaint [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Warpaint's The Fool and Exquisite Corpse are two of my favourite releases so I was looking forward to a new Warpaint release. My version on lovely 2x red vinyl arrived a couple of days early and comes with a download code. Note: the vinyl only fills 3 sides with most of the 12 tracks around 4 minutes in length.

What I've always loved about Warpaint are their rather obscure tracks combined with Emily Kokal's close to cracking up vocals. I started to have concerns with this new album when guitarist/vocalist Theresa Wayman stated that previous albums were "totally crammed" with "too much instrumentation" and "We leant towards things we thought were sexier". Whatever this means? There were rave reactions on YouTube to `love is to die' with its key change chorus but it left me rather unimpressed. The album has some nice vocal harmonies but most of the songs have stripped out guitars leaving the vocals, bass, and drums to carry the songs. Guitars lazily jiggle in then out but on many tracks they have largely been replaced with synthesizer. I'm sure this new direction will spilt fan opinion? Even on the track `Hi' - which other reviews are stating as the highpoint - drum kit is mostly replaced with drum machine and synth for guitar. Personally, I like 'Feeling Alright' where this new focus works extremely well with its subdued dubstep bass line leading into the tracks 'CC' and 'Drive'.

Unlike previous releases there is a lack of urgency and rawness. It's like the band have thought way too long over each track musing over every detail. The album is therefore a muted affair and with very few edgy vocals. The guitar work is so restrained that none of this atmospheric drifting transports you to a different place. Most of the time the music lacks anything that will remotely stir your senses. I'm very sorry to say less instrumentation has equalled rather boring songs. Nothing on this release comes close to matching the brilliance of 'Majesty', 'Beetles', 'Elephants' or 'Undertow' which is a major shame.

The album 'Warpaint' may have advanced the band technically in recording and production techniques but in the end we have an album that's rather too easy listening and completely forgettable. You could play this to your Granma, at a vicar's teas party, or even in a shopping centre and it would not offend anyone and would just drift into their subconscious as background music. I believe my score generally reflects what music critics have given and for once they maybe right.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Jan 2014 01:08:59 GMT
C. Chalupa says:
Thank you for this helpful review. would you be able to tell me if the download link you mentioned is for the entire album? thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2014 09:03:29 GMT
You get a download link for the whole album within the vinyl.

Posted on 20 Jan 2014 09:45:24 GMT
Not the first person I've heard expressing this opinion - I'll definitely be listening before buying.

Thanks.

Posted on 21 Jan 2014 22:59:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2014 17:55:01 GMT
There are several great reviews on the internet, including Allmusic.com and Consequenceofsound.net!

Posted on 22 Jan 2014 15:47:08 GMT
Not sure why so many have marked you down for this review - it seems spot on!

I too like Warpaint, I have every song of theirs up until this latest album. I loved the 'hotch-potch' of styles in their previous output, Beetles in particular. However, there is not one track that truly stands out on this new album - it's seems to me that it's a cross between Bat for Lashes and XX - all very safe, but all quite forgettable, which is a shame as I too very much look forward to this latest album.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2014 20:47:26 GMT
I've had more weeks to listen and would not change my review too much. I get the album but let's Take 'Love is to die' and I'll bet most can only remember the lyrics 'Love is to die, love is not to die...hum hum hum..." and little else. I still find Biggy, Teese Disco/Very just rather dull and Go in completely forgettable.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›