on 20 May 2012
This is a gem of a book. I picked it up in my local comic book shop and read it non-stop from the moment I walked out of the door. I passed it in a rather jokey/embarrassed way to a single friend and she has passed it on to someone else. Her review of the book? 'She KNOWS.'

This is a straight graphic autobiography about Lia's struggle with singleness. I was going to add 'with added bits of magical realism,' but that does violence to the text: Lia really believes this stuff. When Lia and Jesus visit her isolated childhood self and play Operation (my favourite scene), I suspect this is not purely concoted, but represents her deep and sincere faith in Roman Catholicism.

Lia's belief is completely taken as read; there are no explanations, apologies or digressions. In many ways this is impressive, but her whimsical and (faux?) naive style can make her faith seem rather too simplistic, like a deliberate regression into childlike dependence.

So... I loved the book, but I'm happy that it now has a life of it's own and I'm not particularly desperate to get it back...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink