Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 16 September 2013
I love most of what WT do, particularly the more recent work (The Unforgiving is a cracking album), so when I saw this I had to pick it up.
It's an album of cover versions to celebrate WT's 15th anniversary in the biz, and consists of 11 (mostly) contemporary pop songs re-recorded in a WT style.

I was only familiar with a few (The Who's 'Behind Blue Eyes', Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'The Power Of Love' Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy' and OneRepublic's 'Apologise'), but the rest were unknowns. Indeed a few were by people I probably wouldn't look twice at - Bruno Mars? Swedish House Mafia? I'm sure they're very talented, but wouldn't ever show up on my radar.

But in WT's hands, just about every song turns out to be fantastic. Admittedly some take longer to get their hooks into you than others, but they all get there eventually.

I have to give extra credit for two things. One - the cover of 'Summertime Sadness' led me to Lana Del Rey, who I'd never heard of, and her Born To Die album, which is incredible.
And two, there was apparently a Coldplay cover recorded for the sessions, but it's been left off the CD, which is a bonus in my book.

It's a fairly short album at less than 42 minutes, but none the worse for it.
Pop / rock crossover at it's best.
5 people found this helpful