on 9 September 2011
From research prior to release this looked like the perfect present for my boyfriend. Fun games - check, 6 foot of space - Check, Voice Activation - check & value for money - Half a check. So I bought the kinect in the hopes of fun filled evenings with my boyfriend and I wouldn't exactly say they are fun but more adequate.

Pros:

- The Games are good fun - Kinect adventures (free with most kinects) is the equivalent to Wii play for the Wii where as it has a light hearted mix of activities throughout. I also bought him sonic which is a good game but contained many cons (see con section).

- The pictures that are taken whist playing wii adventures are a great laugh and provided us with good entertainment.

- The kinect ensures that you are actually working out as opposed to the wii where I discovered I can bowl while lying on the sofa.

Cons:

- Space issue - I will get grief for this (see any 1* reviews as to why) but I made sure I had 6ft of space before I purchased but what I didn't realise is for 2 player you need 8ft plus approx another 2 foot of 'playing room' as I discovered when I needed to walk backwards and walked my calf of the sofa. It is not a big deal in the sense that yes we can each take turns and just lose the points when required to go backwards but I just don't think that enough consideration was put into the development considering it was an issue raised in testing. I'm not saying that this will affect everyone as we live in an apartment (a small one at that) but I would ensure you have about 10foot of room to ensure you get the most out of the kinect.

- Lag - A lot of reviewers have also commented on the lag and it is not an overly big issue with me but an annoying one at that. I do not appreciate a lag at the 6ft mark considering it is the recommended distance but a friend pointed out that when she moved it back to 8ft she lost all the lag so until I move into a bigger house the lag will also be there.

- Also the voice command function seemed like a great idea but realistically you can operate very few commands by voice.

- Game controls - Maybe I am too use to the conventional gaming where I click pause and it pauses straight away but holding my arm in one sport for 10secs is a bit irritating. It is even worse when playing with my hyperactive 5 year old niece who cannot stand still that long for it to work.

- Few Games - I maybe was a bit naive but I did believe that by now there would be some decent games out for the Kinect. There were only 2 of interest at Christmas and maybe one more since but I think it is a bit harsh that there is still a lacking in the games department.

- Sonic - Oh dear this game ended up being more trouble than it was worth. The game seemed to start the power things without me even asking it to and several involuntary movements occurred. Think it has been played twice now.

Overall we use it and its fine. I will not rave about it but I will not totally disregard it. We are in the process of trying to sell it at the moment more to do with the lack of time we have as opposed to the problems we have had but realistically that did add to it. I know others have had more luck than I have hence not giving it 1* but it was a disappointment. I would compare it to the 3DS in the sense that although the 3D effect gave some people headaches others found it fine and with the kinect some people have the space and some just don't. I'm sure the ones who have no issues find it great but until they fix my few gripes I probably would not rush to purchase it again.
11 Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.