on 15 March 2006
I *love* this book. I bought it because of a recommendation by another reader and it's everything they promised. It had me in fits of laughter and I started using the idioms immediately because the pictures and the explanations show you the circumstances where the idiom is appropriate. I surprised the French speakers I know by my sudden use of apt figurative language. It really is fun to be able to use these sayings. The cartoons are amusing and each one is followed by a dialogue where the saying is used so you can see how it will fit into a conversation. I couldn't stop using them but luckily the people I was addressing were tolerant and highly amused.
There are 101 idioms with cartoons, followed by a dialogue or a description. At the back are translations of the dialogues and a list of the idioms in alphabetical order and by key images. So, if you know you want to something to do with 'dogs' for example, you can look up dog and find the idioms associated with that image.
I can't recommend this highly enough. It helps you practise your French without even realising that's what you are doing. I'm intending to order the proverbs as well! it is a real bargain. It was worth that just for the laughter it brought.
109 people found this helpful