on 21 June 2011
I'm halfway through this book so will probably come back and add to this when I've reached the end of it.
Well, I nearly tossed this aside in disgust after not very many pages (but obviously persevered). I just cannot understand why the author and the book are so showered with praise from all directions. Why the references to it being 'literary'? I'm totally bewildered. A handful of literary references dropped in do not a great piece of writing make.
I find the writing dry, artless and clunky, and the characters totally unconvincing. The edition I'm reading has 'bookclub' questions at the back. How utterly pretentiousand patronising. Let's all pretend we're sitting our English Lit O level with Ms Lupton's book to guide us! I'm fully expecting the much hyped 'huge twist at the end' to be a pile of pants but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. Here's hoping and 'I'll be back'!
OK, finished the book now and I'll add one more adjective to my impression of the writing - laboured. I actually thought the 'twist' was quite well done but I'd partly predicted it 2/3 of the way through the book. I'm glad I've finished the book because my overriding feeling about it as I read, was irritation (I was intrigued by the promised twist though and didn't want to cheat and skim and jump to the end, glutton for punishment!). The incessant questions coming out of the mouth of 'Bee' in conversation. I started hearing the end of every one of these sentences rising as I read. Like much of the dialogue, it just didn't sit right.
Finally, I'm really shocked by the sentence structure and grammar in this book. The bloopers don't feel artistically licensed, just semi-literate.
Two parting thoughts - would be reader, don't bother, and 'I'm off to write a book'!
33 people found this helpful