on 15 May 2014
I was looking for gentle, inspirational, loving tales of kindness and thought I had found it with this book. We opened it in excitement the moment it arrived, but what we got was not a book of wisdom and acceptance, but instead an overly moralistic to the point of pushy, judgmental and frankly frightening set of stories. We read four together and twice I had to change the ending completely as my three year old was so upset by them. There is a very strong "I told you so" or "I know best" attitude to all of the stories and the tone is highly disrespectful and preachy towards children. To top it off the stories are quite dull and not at all engaging.

There is a lot of labeling - "The cruel woman" "The mean old man" etc which shows no empathy or loving kindness towards them and writes them off as evil characters. I read through several more stories to make sure I wasn't missing something special, but I found more of the same. At the end of each story is a Buddha cloud where he drums in the moral of the story, which tends to be of the "Don't trust your own judgement, do as the wise people say instead" variety. I was so disappointed I sent it back. Would not recommend at all!
32 people found this helpful