on 24 October 2011
My boyfriend has been haranguing me for ages to read a graphic novel: he's something of a connoisseur, I'm a comic virgin. He recommended 'Year One' to me as a classic of the genre.

I have to admit I was a bit baffled by it all. The graphic novel is a form I just don't get!

The story seemed fragmented, more as if I was coming to it having missed the beginning. To me it also ended mid-stream, just as the narrative was getting interesting. The whole Selina strand was completely undeveloped, like the start of a story that's forgotten. I was also surprised how much Gordon dominated things.

Which brings me to Batman himself. As a fan of the film 'Batman Begins' - and given this is Year One, i.e. the origin of it all - I thought there would be a lot more substance to his backstory. But it's all quite thin and unengaging. In fact, one of my criticisms is how many gaps there are in the story telling. I assume this is intentional and as the reader you're supposed to fill these in - but I felt a bit cheated.

I don't know enough about the artwork to comment on it (though Monsieur DLR tells me it's some of the best).

So overall how was my first graphic novel experience? It was OK (hence 3 stars) I'd certainly try another but I can't say it thrilled me. Sorry to all the fans and 5 star reviewers out there. Like I said: I just don't understand the form.
55 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.