on 7 December 2010
I am an avid reader of first chapters. The reason being is that I find it very difficult to find a book that keeps me wanting more. As a reader, I'm pretty petulant. My view is that life is too short to waste on something that doesn't get me interested and entertained from the start.
That being said, I'm delighted to report that I read `999 - True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic' from cover to cover. The insight into the ambulance service and the role of a paramedic that it offers is fascinating.
As an author myself and a member of the emergency services to boot, I know how difficult it can be to get over to an interested public the sheer variety of tasks that all the emergency services encounter, let alone give justice to the urgent vignettes of life that make up each and every call.
Lysa Walder, however, manages to pull it off perfectly. This isn't some TV drama, this is real life. The heartache, the fun, the gore, the confusion, the pandemonium, the danger, the pointlessness, the timewasters, the desperation, the sheer joy of saving someone's life - it's all here. Moreover, her writing style is such that I felt that I was there with Lysa on every job.
On the back of the book, Lysa asks the question that many of us ask, `Maybe we made a difference'. After reading this book, I can definitely say, Yes, I truly think you do. After fifteen years in the role, Lysa seems to have encountered just about every sort of situation the job can offer and how she has coped with everything life (and death) could fling at her, is inspirational. If I have a stroke, I know which paramedic I would want to turn up!
And finally, to any reader who is looking for an insight into a world that is hidden away from most of us, I would thoroughly recommend this book. Five stars without a doubt.
What's this?