on 25 February 2007
My review below was written in 2007, and was for the single CD remaster, now deleted, that dropped 'Polar Nights'. Amazon likes to amalgamate all reviews by title, not issue, alas. This new 2CD reissue with bonus tracks is wonderful - get it bought. 03/07/16

For the album: 5 stars. I've always loved it, despite the RnR standards of 'Hound Dog' and 'Long Tall Sally'. I could do without those (and Uriah Heep also pressed a similar live medley on us in the early 1970s), although I appreciate they would be songs the band had grown up listening to and trying to play, in the same way I would have wanted to try my hands at Scorps classics. It's just that I'd rather have more of the band's own tracks in their stead.

This gets me on to why I've docked a star. The record label, in order to make this a single CD, have dropped the fourth track of the original album, 'Polar Nights'. We are given this as an anachronistic 'bonus track' on 'Taken By Force'. For this reason, I didn't buy this reissue and shall stick to my 2CD US import.

In response to one of the reviews below, re 'Kojo No Tsuki' (and other folk songs the Scorps have played), I see it as a mark of respect for the country, myself. After all, here we have a German band, already singing in a foreign tongue, learning a Japanese lyric. The crowd clearly appreciate it and relish singing along in their language, for a change. Would I swap it for another Scorpions track? Yes, but it's such a thoughtful touch from the band that I can excuse them.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?