on 22 May 2009
I have lived abroad for the last few years. The only thing I miss about the UK is one rainy afternoon in Bath, a year before getting married. A male friend of the family and I wandered into a small cinema showing Stiff Upper Lips, on a totally off the cuff, rainy day sort of off chance, not knowing anything about it. Our vision of the film was heavily impeded by copious tears, as we were spurred on by each others near deaths by asphyxiation as we were gorged on a feast of totally irreverent humour. Yes, the slow pace at times gives a bit of a Godot-esque, surreal flavour, and the fowl language coming from Prunella and Peter U is jarring sometimes and not very laugh out loud, but the film is a kind of unique jem for all the reasons I quote above. A last aching testament of the C20th of why it was possible to be proud to be British? This is savage, affectionate comedy that brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it, encapsulating a genius of the Brits for being proud of their accomplishments and the willingness to make fun of them as well.
I'm shocked that it is not on DVD in the UK. This must be some sort of conspiracy by Merchant Ivory. Years after I was looking in video rental shops in vain for this endearing flick. Why was this? Anyone help with this mystery? Somebody put a lot of care and money and time into this flick, and there seems to have been so little effort to distribute it.
55 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?