5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing motherboard, 30 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Asus Rampage IV Extreme Intel x79 2011 Motherboard (PCI-E 3.0 x16, DDR3 1600, SATA, RAID, ATX) (Accessory)
Not quite sure what that 1-star review was about but perhaps he/she doesn't quite understand the concepts of a BIOS Update (which was the easiest I've ever had, you have like 4 ways to do it and so simple).

While quoted as an E-ATX, which is accurate, you only need 9 screws and fit great in my Cooler Master HAF X without needing to move any cables. The on-board debug code display is great to see where your computer is hanging during boot up. I always go by the notion "AA means A-OK!". The Clearing CMOS button and OC Key are great tools for overclockers. This motherboard supports some of the fastest RAM around and while I only have 1866 MHz to test, it had the fastest memory speeds (performance gain was negligible but still there).

The UEFI BIOS is excellent and has a massive array of monitoring, updating and overclocking tools available.

5*, recommended to anyone who wants some serious bit of kit backing their firepower.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Nov 2012 01:56:06 GMT
Logikewl says:
Ferdinand, I totally agree with you, this board is top notch and easy to navigate the BIOS features.

I also stick it in a Haf-X with H100 cooling with push/pull (plenty of room at the top of the case.

People beware if you want to aircool it with a 3960X - you need a very narrow heatsink to accomodate the two fans in push/pull, otherwise it will get in the way of high RAM sticks or the first PCI-E lane.

I don't know what the other guy is on about, but you always get one clown.

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 06:58:16 GMT
EviL FazZ says:
Thanks for sharing (Ferdinand Keller and R. Hiorns), really helps ()^_^)

I'm still in heavy decisions between the cheaper i7 3770k with an ASUS P8Z77 Deluxe, Sabertooth or ROG, but as I'll be editing/rendering a lot video, audio and images, I'm considering of the older and more expensive (similar to you both) i7 3930k/3960X with (again but X79's) Deluxe, Sabertooth or ROG.

So far I 'was' thinking the i7 3930k (maybe a 3960X if I can push), ASUS P9X79 Deluxe, 32Gb RAM 1866 (for now, but leaving space for another 32Gb), Nvidia GTX 680 (currently being used in my old system), Corsair H100, etc, but I'm really wondering if the ASUS ROG route would be much better for what I require?

I do NOT like OverClocking, I'm not great at it, but mainly because as I need something that will run 24/7 without any issues or shortening it's lifespan. Of course, with all that work load, I obviously use it to play games at their best available (currently very sad that RockStar are possibly NOT releasing GTA:V on Windows... hope this changes though) and 1x 2560x1600 LG iPS screen and 2x 1080p (mirrored of each other) screens (monitor and projector)... hoping to go into Passive 3D soon too.

I'm currently still using a Intel Q6600 with 8Gb with endless SSD's, HDD's, ASUS Xonar HD1.3 and as I said an Nvidia GTX 680 with 4Gb Vram.

Thank you for reading, your time and any input you can give
FazZ []^_^]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 13:26:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2012 13:31:09 GMT
Logikewl says:
Hi FazZ,
Have a read of this thread on the ROG forum, it's pretty good.

As mentioned there, you don't really need to manually set things unless you are seriously overclocking. One thing I would mention though about having 32GB of RAM is make sure they are compatible with the mobo first. I had a pig of a time getting the mobo to see all 32 GB of a set of Corsair, and then GSkill RipjawsZ (both 2133MHz) it would only show 24GB until Asus released a firmware upgrade, there are quite a few posts on the ROG forum about that. I can't really add anything more on this mobo, the forum covers it all. Unsure why you would be thinking of a top end mobo designed for o/clocking if you do NOT want to o/clock, lol ?

edit - look around, you can pick up OEM 3960X's for around £500 here in the UK, not like you are going to be using a standard retail cooler.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2012 01:24:15 GMT
EviL FazZ says:
Thanks for the reply and ROS forum URL, R. Hiorns

Will make sure I get the right memory for the right board, as I've been though this issue a few times in the past, but usually work it out without any money loss in the end... just a lot of late nights reading.

OK... maybe I 'should' have said, I 'might' attempt to overclock 'a little' ...LoL long as it's stable and won't crash the system whilst it's intensely number crunching, and I guess with the Corsair H100 it should make it stable and better to overclock... so it may happen?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the P9X79 Deluxe, even though the WorksStation version runs about 3% fast, which I think isn't enough for me to drop the extra features I would gain with the Deluxe version, and you and Ferdinand Keller know already that the ROG version has most of the features, but with the addition of being able to overclock a huge amount more.

I want to keep it all under £1000 for motherboard, CPU, memory and cooling required for both CPU and memory, everything else is already here ready and waiting, just being used by my older current system. The Passive 3D iPS screen is on another budget and not included in this.

Thanks for the average pricing on the OEM 3960X which is certainly better than retail, but still a touch expensive for me... will keep searching for a good deal on any 6-Core X79 CPU. I'd say maybe I'd wait for Intel's Haswell CPU's but that would be a long and possibly even more expensive wait.

‹ Previous 1 Next ›