on 29 June 2004
The Zutons 'Who Killed the Zutons?' album is a lively, ecclectic fun mix which makes the listener want to dance and sing along.
On initial listening I was concerned that the songs sounded a little too similar to past genres to be original but then I went to see them live and was completely swept up in the sheer genius and enegy which make up the Zutons.
One of the main plus points of the Zutons as opposed from their possible contempories in the indie/rock genre is the funky ever present use of the bass, and of course their true jem; Abbie on the cheeky saxophone, which is what really distinguishes the band.
My personal favourites are:
'Confusion', one of the few ballady-type songs with a beautiful bass part, about the ending of a relationship; 'Things have changed/I'm not the same/Now I must walk the other way'...'From day one I led you on/I'm sorry girl but I can't stay'.
'Pressure Point', a feverish song full of energy which builds up into a truely enjoyable crescendo.
And of course the anthem - 'Zuton Fever', which is just genius. Sing with me...'You know I get that funny feeling/Like an epidemic running through my head/Oh I got that feeling it's the best/Got the Zuton Fever in my head...'!!!
I would encourage listeners to see them live as they will be in for a real musical treat.
What's this?