5.0 out of 5 stars Power Pop Classic from the One Hit Wonders!, 9 Aug. 2003
This review is from: The Best Of (Audio CD)
Always remembered as one hit wonders for the Power Pop classic ‘Back of My Hand’, this album, which is essentially both studio LP’s shows that this band had a whole lot more to offer than the public ever got the hear.
Judging by the poor sales of both albums & follow up singles, not many did get the hear The Jags, which is a real pity because there are some real gems on this release, with production & musicianship as crisp as any of their contemporaries.
OK, the Elvis Costello comparisons are certainly justified, especially on the first half of the album, which is the first LP. Gems that really shine here are the follow up to Back of My Hand ‘Woman’s World’ a fantastic tale of girl power! Played out in snappy punk/pop style with cynical lyrics ('She'd gone out with the boy next door, and left me in the lurch once more' is a particular favourate of mine!),Got to a desperate 75 in the charts.
The next single ‘Party Games’ didn’t even dent the charts which is a real pity because it’s the stand out track on the album, kind of reminds me of Slick/Baycity Rollers/Mud style, but no bad thing!
By the time the second LP got released in '81 the band had changed to a darker style, with sometimes slightly embarrassing ‘cockney’ vocals taking over from the Elvis style!
A storming mod version of ‘Here comes my Baby’ kicks off the 2nd LP set, with the rest of the stuff good, but not as ace as the first LP. More of a grower I feel.
The big question is....... just who were these guys? I would really like to know what they did after this group disbanded. They had songwriting style and playing expertise that kind of hints at session men, but who knows?
The Jags-the great undiscovered mystery of our time. Oh, by the way get this album-Since I acquired it 12 months ago it has barely got of my car CD player and remains an infectious classic of power pop perfection.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Mar 2011, 20:16:39 GMT
Alex Baird says:
Thank you for all the kind words. Don't know how long this will be online. I only just discovered it myself but here's a link to some live Jags stuff....

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011, 16:46:11 BST
Last edited by the author on 30 May 2011, 16:47:47 BST
Cheers, what a great gig! Must have been recorded around the time BOMY was released? You guys were great players, really tight sound and amazing to hear for the first time track 3 (something to do with a visit to a sleezy night club-what's this called, don't think it got released ever but a great song!) our personal fave is Dumb Blonde (B side of Womans World and a real power pop punk gem!) Gets a real blasting on our Wullitzer most Saturday nights. The jags were a part of the late 70's teenage soundscape along with The Vapors, Tourists, Secret Affair, The Look and kind of made the radio player in our school essential-a period in UK music never really bettered in my opinion-made us what we turned out to be!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2012, 22:24:20 BST
Alex Baird says:
That tune is called "Love and a Song" ...or maybe "Love in a Song". One of the two. Glad you enjoyed the gig. It must have recorded before the first album as the "BWM" bit hadn't yet been added to the end of Single Vision. Ahh, those were the days!

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012, 16:54:37 BST
Excellent, Thanks for the info on the song title. Just one other thing, the final single had a b-side entitled 'the hurt' sounded like the final call for the group, did it all end in tears? Also, is the hurt a kind of solo swansong from the singer? Just like the band really, you caught the mood of the times!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012, 02:40:47 BST
Alex Baird says:
The Hurt was not, as far as I'm aware, the bands "swansong" but it is very different to all the other stuff we did. I like it. That particular song was recorded in the same studio in West London with the same producer(s) ...Simon Humphrey and us Jags..... as the first album, only at a later session. The band began to fall apart much later during the American tour and second album, which was recorded in Nassau directly after the tour. At the time, a never ending set of personal, musical and business problems just took over. I suspect each band member will have a different take on why we split up. I have no desire to go into details in such a public forum but I will say I really appreciate all the positive comments both here and on our YouTube vids. Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2016, 10:46:29 GMT
That's good to know! & Ken Bruce just played your song and said 'nice drumming Alex!' at the end! The Vapors just got back to do a few shows after 36 years-kind of similar situation, 1 massive hit, 6 singles and a couple of LP's before falling apart in '81.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›