on 2 February 2014
I have read all of Linda Gillard`s books, I found them by sheer fluke and couldn't believe I had found an author who spoke to me so much. Having followed Linda Gillard`s year of struggle with cancer and her determination to get back to writing, I was a little worried I might not like her new book, as the theme is paranormal, Scottish Highland castle. A genre hard to define, but then Gillard doesn't do genres, her books are a wonderful mix of human frailty mixed with an exciting and always moving storyline. However, having read her other books, I hoped this book would live up to her usual realistic way of writing.

Of course, I needn't have worried. This book shines, the heroine is flawed, like we all are, no fairy tale here. Linda Gillard very bravely and eloquently tells the story of people with human frailties, the ones we might see in ourselves if we dare to look.

The book is genuine, each character is developed and shine with life, the descriptions leave you believing you are there at Caulstane, I know them all, dear people , and that is what a really good book leaves you with, knowing and loving the people portrayed.

Thank you!