1,021 of 1,045 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor computer software, very poor customer service, 18 July 2009
This review is from: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit Europe (discountinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
After looking at a few comments on this product I find myself in agreement with many of the positive and even some of the negative.

To expound on this, I purchased the XL IQ routes ed (Europe)last Saturday for a trip around Spain next month, with the thought that I'd best get hold of one early enough to get used to the device as a) I had never owned a sat nav before (having been blessed with a pretty good personal GPS and the ability to read a map). and b) having been in cars with others who have used these devices I was concerned they may be more distracting than useful.

I picked this product based on reviews of others and a 5 minute demo from a friend, which to be honest made it look indespensable, even for the things that are often never mentioned about the device, such as the help section, which one would assume is a how to guide, but is infact a set up to get the nearest hosptial/ doctor whether driving or walking even including a first aid guide. Although I've not had to use these features, so cannot advise if any good, what a great feature!

My first trip was a known trip and on the whole it marked the way I would choose, but it still managed to save me 30 minutes off a regular journey time by throwing me down a couple of country lanes, so by now seriously impressed with the device.

So the next thing I do the same as everyone does is connect the device to their PC to make sure they have the latest maps, cameras et al.

As soon as you connect it, it installs the software already pre-loaded on the device (a really nice feature, no disc to lose woohoo!) as soon as it this application is installed (called tom tom HOME) it asks if you would like to update.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

CLICK CANCEL, DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL YOU HAVE MANUALLY BACKED UP THE DEVICE.

that is the message you should be shown first, how aleading manufacturer of such a product can get you updating before you've backed up a working machine is unbelivable, but just a sign of today I feel, in that once they have your money they no longer care.

Of course, I was not aware and like most clicked the update button, all is well, I disconnect the device turn it on and woohoo a nice tom tom shaped paper weight.

I then spend a week battling customer services, to get this working as I cannot return the device due to it being software and excluded from 28 day returns policy.

In the end I fixed the device myself, as customer service just insisted on forwarding me pre-prepared scripts that were not able to resolve the issue. I'll not go into how I fixed it but I did have to format it and start from scratch, re-installing applications and maps, which athough I'm capable is not something I feel I should have been doing.

Anyway now the device is backed up and working and in summary it is a great product and I would highly recommend it.

Just make sure you back up the device manually before updating (guide on tomtom website) and you should be golden.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 22 posts in this discussion
Posted on 2 Feb 2011 07:23:22 GMT
Tilak says:
The first Tom Tom sat nav I brought three years ago was a very useful navigational tool. The cost of upgrading was a rip-off (but this is the UK after all) and I declined. Only once did I end up a mile or so away from a destination which had moved elsewhere. But now I am puzzled, but not surprised that Tom Tom is too busy committing commercial suicide (by plugging rubbish software and poor design of memory capacity that will catch you out unless you are alert and save everything on your computer hard drive before attempting any sort of upgrade) to bother with its customers. But committing commerical suicide or having a really good try seems to be par for the course as far as British companies are concerned, e.g. BP and so many others in a hurry to make a fast buck and executives to indulge themselves with big bonuses for running their company into the ground. Whom the gods would destroy...! Hm!

Posted on 12 Feb 2011 12:48:47 GMT
LindyD says:
I agree absolutely! TomTom products are superb... but their customer service is hopeless. I currently have an un-usable TomTom One because of an update problem, but am missing the service it gives when working so much that I'm thinking of buying another. As Stephen Ransome has said, once they've got you they don't appear to care, which seems to be pretty much par for the course when it comes to customer service these days.

Posted on 11 Mar 2011 14:39:56 GMT
Thank you Stephen for the very helpful advice. I downloaded and installed the TomTom HOME software before the device arrived and when I first connected the unit I went straight to "Backup". Then I tried to update the maps and was told that it was too big for the memory. I then went to "Manage my XL" and deleted a load of stuff that I don't need, e.g. voices in foreign languages that I don't speak, plus one or two other un-needed options. Performed the update and still have 384Mb free.

The User guide that comes with it is just packing material so before you start to set up your TomTom download the 42 page (English) pdf manual. Next will be to try it out for real.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2011 08:58:10 BDT
Reply to Andrew Agnew: No I don't believe that such a download is possible.

What a great review by Stephen Ransome - well done. I can only agree with what he says - back up using Windows Explorer before updating. Just plug the Tom Tom in to your computer and treat it as any hard disk or USB - just drag and drop all of the contents into a new file on your computer. When you update do it late at night (so no overload on internet) and be patient - it takes about two hours. If your interent stalls or the back-up stalls then it will corrupt your machine. If it works OK then the machine is "absolutely wizard!!".

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2011 09:42:39 BDT
A tomtom device with western Europe map will suffice bought in France. I have a dated version which works fine whenever I am in France or Spain.

Posted on 4 Aug 2011 17:04:08 BDT
stonechat says:
been in touch with tomtom twice recently about problem with my go 500, it's just showing a red cross on the sim card, they have replyed twice but did not seem to take any notice of my problem and just sent reply about not green light etc so i am about to give up and buy a new one.

Posted on 8 Aug 2011 21:20:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2011 21:25:28 BDT
JONTY606 says:
I have had the XL IQ (UK EDITION) since early 2010 and I love it and recommend it! BUT OH what a shame their software updates & after sales service is a total letdown (what is "next higher technical level support"they are very keen to pass your problem to?).Do you really NEED the software updates.Read these reviews first then decide.
Anyway I have found that although it will only accept the first four post code digits e,g AB12, it follows with all the main streets in that area.Click the street you want,add the number--DONE.Hopes this helps someone out there.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2011 14:40:50 BDT
Bass says:
A good comment. Yes, I agree, that like a lot of these companys, that once they have your money, the ball is in their court.
I was thinking of buying one. However, after reading some of these comments....I won't!
I will not be dealing with them!

Posted on 10 Oct 2011 15:35:28 BDT
Bookworm says:
Have just read the reviews about poor TomTom customer service. Think I must have been lucky, because when the sound on my 14 month old GPS failed I contacted Customer Services and was initially told that to repair it would cost 72 Euros. I then went into Comet and asked for a free repair under the 1979 sale of Goods Act, They said I had to prove it was "unfit for purpose". The fact that it wasn't working properly didn't seem to count.
I contacted TomTom again and after a bit of email correspondence they agreed to repair it free of charge. Posted it on a Monday in their prepaid envelope, had it back, repaired, on Thursday. Their Customer Services guy (Jamie) was really helpful.

John Northamptonshire

Posted on 7 Dec 2011 10:40:28 GMT
Lyndylou says:
Thankyou for this advice about the Tom Tom XL IQ device before accepting the update, I'm sure that many people whould have done the same as you! I surely would have TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit Europedone I know, it's great to have all of these reviews so that people can find out the mistakes before they themselves go there! Thanks very much.