on 1 February 2014
As an author, I often spent 10 to 12 hours a day at my keyboard and often get a stiff neck and pains in my shoulders and arms. I am a touch typist but found I was squinting to read the text onscreen. I didn't want to invest in whole new desktop PC system as well as my existing 2 laptops but I had already bought a separate keyboard as this fits on the sliding shelf beneath my home work station and using this is better for my fingers and also prolongs the life of the laptop (laptops don't like having their keys pounded for 12 hours a day). However, the screen on the laptop was set too low and I couldn't get closer to see it better, because the keyboard of the laptop dictates the distance, so I still got neck ache.

Thinking a larger monitor might be the solution, I started pricing up these at Amazon, but then I spotted the laptop riser and this made good sense. The price made it more appealing than having to acquire a monitor. It took around 5 mins to set up. I am 5' 6" tall and need to ensure my knees and elbows are at perfect right angles when I am sitting at my home workstation. Using both sets of rubber feet that came with the riser placed the screen of my 17" Dell studio laptop at the perfect level for me to view the laptop screen as I type. I no longer have neck and shoulder pain. To address some of the complaints of earlier reviewers, I would say:

Strong smell of rubber - they must have resolved this because I have a keen sense of smell and the rubber feet gave off no odour even when waved under my nose.

Scratched desktop - Using the stand without the rubber feet might, I suppose, scratch the desk top, but I fail to understand why anyone would buy this and not use it in the raised position. If you don't need to use the rubber feet then arguably you don't need this riser.

Couldn't use laptop keys when laptop was in the riser - to this lady I would respectfully say you have missed the point. You should use this riser in conjunction with a separate keyboard. These are cheap enough to buy and you will prolong the life of your laptop if you use one. Standard keyboards are springier than laptop keyboards in any case and will not give you RSI to the same degree as constant use of laptop keys.

USB port not functioning - all 4 of mine worked perfectly, though not quite so well when the 4 port gizmo was actually inserted into its slot in the back of the stand, but this is no problem for me as using the riser frees up desk space so the gizmo sits happily just behind the stand. and actually it's less fiddly to swap around gadgets this way.

The part where the laptop rests on the riser being too big/loose - this seems to me to be an advantage as the machine will take laptops of all sizes (Mine are a 17" and a 10" and both fit fine). You wouldn't normally be moving the laptop about or otherwise disturbing it when in use, so not sure why this generously sized rest should be a problem, it holds my laptops securely enough.

The riser is not portable - it is no less portable than the other gadgets I take out and about with me, such as a data projector etc, but I wouldn't take my riser out of my study in any case. This riser is ideal for your permanent home or office workstation, in my opinion.

Other practical factors are that it is easy to dust around and beneath the riser without having to move the laptop (I once cracked a screen when lifting a laptop) and there is indeed a handy shallow receptacle at the front for keeping flash drives etc handy. I always seemed to be hunting around for my flash drives, only to find they slipped off the edge of the desk. All in all this riser has proven to be ideal for my purposes. I wish I had seen it long before now. Thank you Fellowes.
What's this?