on 13 March 2009
For years I had the excerpts from this set on LP and though I liked it, thought Lisa Della Casa in particular too serious in sound - you know she has a deeply melancholic voice at times! However when spaced out throughout the opera her arias and weight of voice and intonation are just superb and I surprisingly thought the whole much better than the highlights - curious as usually it's the other way round. Anyway these seemingly nonsense thoughts aside its a lovely rendition and has quickly become a firm favourite.

As to dictation, as mentioned by the Italian reviewer, yes it isn't all it could be however it is very typical of the time and frankly the mispronunciations are generally easier for me to understand than the perfect Italian would be, so often Italian is sung so flowingly you can't pick individual words and is far from the Italian as spoken on the streets of modern day Italy. It doesn't trouble me but ...I am sure it would Italians...

I think you can afford this set as well as a modern one though frankly none has come my way to recommend and since it is so often performed these days I haven't sort one out.

Overall I think this a delightfully balanced Cosi and it was a joy for me to rediscover how good it was - 1955 Decca stereo has quite legendary recoding quality and thank god the orchestra is modest and does not attempt to drown the singers not that it could these quality and when needed large voices.

Whist it is Lisa Della Casa's opera her support is only just the merest notch behind and as seemed to be the case back in the 1950's ensemble work was common as these singers really did sing together and her duets show how good she and her colleagues were at blending their voices, and playing the roles as if on stage! Enough buy it .....
22 people found this helpful