on 27 July 2011
Having owned Android phones since they first came out in the UK, I've always been a big fan of Android and it's approach to open source software development.

I'd never really been too fussed about buying a tablet - already owning a smart phone, laptop and desktop computer, I never really felt I'd need one. I've been using iPads at work for a while and a high end Android table - the Asus Eee Pad - they're great fun and work beautifully but are still not something I feel I need.

Despite this I stumbled across this tablet on Amazon - the reviews were generally so good and the price so low that I thought I'd go for it and get one, even just to see how it compares to its expensive rivals and to generally have a play around with it, installing different firmwares. I must say I'm really pleased with it, despite the obvious flaws:

Bad points (let's get these out of the way):

- screen not amazingly responsive
- to initially connect to wifi I have to be quite close to my router (BT Home Hub 2)
- as a result of the screen using the onscreen keyboard is a little long winded
- some apps / games will be too much for the processor to cope with
- battery life not amazing
- I'd only recommend children that are able to play with things carefully are allowed to use it!

Good points

- massive range of apps and games
- expandable storage
- compatible with the Amazon Kindle app (why buy a Kindle when this does the same pretty damn well for less money, AND you can do other stuff with it besides using it as a Kindle)
- whilst not available on the Android Market, Spotify Premium works beautifully on this device - I had to extract the Spotify installer (apk) from my phone and transfer it to the Tabtech - it works brilliantly, sound quality is superb
- good sound quality when plugged into speakers / hifi system
- perfect as a portable video player (runs AVI files with no problem) - great for taking on on holiday etc
- when used in conjunction with the keyboard case (available on Amazon) and a mouse, it's practically a netbook and far far cheaper

I have to say if you are considering one, you really should buy one of the keyboard cases - I wouldn't use mine without it. Mine is now permanently set up with the keyboard case, plugged into the mains with an audio jack going to my AV receiver - I basically use this as my Spotify player for which it shines. It's about 5 metres away from my router now and is permanently connected, syncing my emails in the background.

Finally I'll say, don't expect an iPad, don't expect a fully fledged web experience and don't expect it to replace your home computer. At less than a fifth of the price of an iPad this thing punches well above its weight - just be patient as for that price it's not going to do EVERYTHING perfectly, but what it does do it does with ease.

ENJOY!

(By the way, I'm running the Singularity ROM V4 which works perfectly)
1515 Comments| 222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.