on 11 June 2014
I got this for use with the iPad 2 as storage for a bank of video for my five year old. The Sandisk app works, although it seems insane that they have had to (very effectively btw) rewrite music and video viewers instead of being able to just use the iPads own. Another example of Apple control freakery I suppose.

How it works:
1) Buy the device and install the sandisk connect app on your device
2) Connect the device to your PC via USB, it shows as a media drive (and an SD card separately if one is installed)
3) Drag the files you want over into the device, you can add folders, sub folders etc
4) Disconnect the device, make sure it is turned on
5) Connect the iPad Wifi to the device in the Wifi settings screen
6) Open the app.
7) For me this seamlessly found the device and starts with a screen with all the content (video) on the device, this is a tad annoying as it ignores the Film / TV Programme / Series groupings that you would naturally get in the iPad app - BUT --->
8) Select the "File" view and it will show you the file system (folder structure) you created at point (3) - this means if you organise your folders properly and use this view you actually get more organisation than the native iPad video app gives you :-) ie stick your kids films in "Kids Films" and your stuff in "Adult Films" or whatever. Actually, maybe don't call it "Adult Films" - may give the wring idea.
9) Pick a video and play

Streaming is perfect, multiple devices work just fine.

This is an effective solution to additional storage for the iPad, perfect for us going on holiday and travelling as my daughter can choose what she fancies from all the content we have rather than being restricted to what we could fit on the space on the iPad.

I paired it with a 128Gb high speed SD card that cost £33 so for under £100 I have about 200Gb of storage which can be accessed from our various devices. This came into its own when my wife and I were watching the same episode of a TV show - me on my Android Nexus 5, her on her iPhone while my daughter was watching a film. All happily sitting next to each other on a plane. Social it wasn't, but it was a really easy way to pass the time on a flight!
33 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?