on 31 October 2011
I bought the Archos tablet for web browsing, I was impressed out of the box as the 101 is much better looking than I thought. This is my first Android device and I was expecting it to be slow and old looking, but it is fast efficient and has not crashed once.

The 101 is an excellent machine, quiet, amazing battery life and tough enough to be used around the house or at work. I do recomend getting a case , I bought an 101 specifc case with keyboard, although it looks cool as, given a second chance I would buy just a 101 case and a bluetooth keyboard., to protect it on the road.

Archos have built an amazing device that I am using for things that I did not expect. Games (Angry birds ect), Apps I didn't know I wanted including an old school BASIC compiler! Note Diary App, just browsing apps lib and the market makes you want to use this device more.

I did not expect to be wanting to watch videos on this device but a trip to the BBC iplayer site changed that, I have been unable to legally download videos, even the Android market video rental section did not work for me, Google gave me refund but never explained why the movie would not work. They have recently updated the App for video downloads but I have not tried it as of yet. I decided to convert one of my DVDs to MP4, this is the first time I have tried this since 2005 and I couldn't believe it still takes 6 hours to do on my PC, this is why I don't bother with this. However to test the 101 this was the only way, What ever MP4 (.264 AC3) I converted to I always had audio slippage (the picture was excellent), I bluetoothed one example to my Nokia N8 from my 101 7and their was no audio slippage on the Nokia, So I don't know what's going on their. I eventually converted my DVD to AVI, top quality sound and picture (Max 1024mb) and this worked fine on the 101 (Another 6 hours on my PC!)

The sound on this device is fantastic with a deep bass.

The screen is better than I thought it would be after reading the reviews about the 101 it is bright and clear, only you and people close to you can see the screen, which in many ways is a good thing on the road, I can compare it with a Sony Vaio screen (bottom of the range) I had in 2007, TFT style laptop screens that fade from view as you move away from them,

This style of screen must be the reason for the amazing battery life, The 101 gives you a warning at 15% and that's the only warning you get, which is great as it dosnt keep pestering you to charge up, also 15% battery on the 101 is many hours away from going flat!

Archos have done an amazing job with this, and have set a high benchmark for me regarding tablets. Many people say the tablet market is over populated, but I think that the tablet market is going to be massive as they are much better to use than a laptop for light PC use, You still need a PC for heavy use. Archos say and I hope this device will give many years of usage.

Android is to me a surprise also, very stable and efficient OS, Apps-lib has an amazing variety of Apps, and Android market also, I wish Google would make up their minds regarding the Chrome OS or Android, somewhere in between would be nice, but they need to come down one way or another, or they risk losing their huge gains back to Microsoft.

For the future: My next tablet I would like, A4 screen the best possible with all the features and more that the 101 offers inc battery life.
What's this?