on 16 November 2012
Recently I chanced to catch a review of "NANCY, the story of Lady Astor" on BBC radio 4 and immediately dashed off an order on my Amazon account. A scholarly yet lively book I found it worth every penny: to me more, much more.
I was born in Plymouth and I'm now in my eighth decade. Nancy Astor was my childhood hero and she was the hero of war-torn Plymouth which suffered more concentrated Nazi bombing than any other British city, Coventry included.
Nancy and her husband Waldorf 2nd Viscount Astor were both American and both adored Plymouth, loving its people, its history and the swashbucklers that sailed out of Plymouth Sound. Adrian Fort, the book's author, recounts that on first sighting Plymouth Nancy said,"The moment I got there I had a strange feeling of coming home."
With her rhetoric and ceaseless energy she rallied the citizens of Plymouth with speeches that would have done Churchill proud -- yet she and Churchill maintained a respectful animosity,"Winston, if you were my husband I'd put arsenic in your tea!" "Nancy, if you were my wife I'd drink it!"
Adrian Fort delivers the message that while she was fiery her husband was a pleasant, nicest-person-in-the-world sort. I remember my grandfather being pleased and awed to tell the family that he had had a long chat with Lord Astor on a Plymouth tram. Several times when he was Lord Mayor of Plymouth he was the guest of honour at speech days at my excellent school - Sutton High - axed in the slaughter of grammar schools
I must have been eight or nine when I met Nancy, or properly speaking she met me - see my blog, "What Nancy said to me," on [...]
NANCY, the story of Lady Astor is as gripping as any page-turning whodunnit.I was enthralled, many thanks Adrian Fort for your book. It tugged my heart strings and stirred almost forgotten memories - but in truth it's a jolly good read for anybody and I've got to give it 5 stars.
11 Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details