VINE VOICEon January 27, 2006
When I received this DVD as a Christmas gift, I wasn't entirely sure what I was expecting. A few weeks later and I've finally managed to get round to watching it and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised!
First off, this DVD is a massive 256 mins long, so best to watch it in several parts. It's a double sided disc, so I ended up watching one side at a time. By the end of the first side, I just couldn't wait to get on with the second part of the story.
The story is set on an island, seperated from the mainland of an American city. There are around 400 inhabitants on the island and as you can imagine, everybody knows everybody and everybody knows everybody elses business. News of a breaking storm surfaces, one of the worst storms ever! So everyone prepares for the oncoming storm. Meanwhile, a strange and mysterious figure emerges from out of nowhere and sets about taking his first victim in the form of an elderly female, a resident of the island. Word spreads quickly and the local Sheriff is sent to investigate. From here on in the film will have you on the edge of your seat. You're never quite sure what to expect. And no one really knows who this mysterious character is or what he wants. After watching the DVD I'm still not sure I understand who he actually is lol But maybe it was explained in there and another viewing will clear all that up. The end of the film was also a little surprising, I got the impression that something else was gonna happen, but no it wasn't lol I won't spoil it for you if you haven't seen it.
I have never read any King novels myself, but I've probably seen some of the films on TV over the last few years. This ranks amongst one of the best, keeps you guessing, shrouded in mystery and a damn good edge of the seater.
If you've read the book or are just contemplating whether or not to buy this on DVD, then I can highly recommend it. Not something that I would have chosen off the shelf for myself, so I'm extremely glad that a special someone bought it for me, thank you. Five stars from me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?