3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as my old Sennheiser CX-200s..., 5 Feb. 2013
This review is from: SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Black/Red (Electronics)
These were a Christmas gift to replace my old Sennheiser CX-200s (at least I'm pretty sure they're the CX-200s...have had them for several years so unlikely they are the CX-300s) and even though I've only been using them for a couple of months, I'm underwhelmed.

I'm no audiophile and actually find it quite amusing when people say things like "I feel these don't produce anything in the 5KHz range", etc., as I honestly don't think most people's ears are that attuned to these small differences. Having said that, the E10s don't produce anywhere near as much bass as my old Sennheisers and the sound in general just isn't as rich.

The E10s look great...mine are red and with the contrasting black, are very easy on the eye. However, we all know that looks aren't everything and it's definitely true here. The actual cable is a hard, smooth, ridged plastic and although it's nice to the touch, it's just too rigid and I often end up getting a loop from one of the earbuds being poked in my eye (unfortunately, the cable's so stiff and light that gravity isn't enough to drop it down against your body when in use...I'm hoping that it'll become softer over time). They have a clip, so you can mitigate this kind of thing but I'd much prefer a more malleable cable.

They come with about 6 different sizes of silicone ear inserts but despite trying most of them, I just can't find a comfortable fit. Actually, 'comfortable' isn't quite right...they are pretty comfy but they just don't seem to fit in my ears as well as my old Sennheisers. Consequently, they don't block out as much background noise when being used which, in turn, affects the sound you're listening to.

Build quality aside (like I said, I've only had them since Christmas 2012), they're a decent set of headphones but I much prefer my old Sennheisers to the point that I may even just bite the bullet and buy a pair of CX-300s and use the SoundMAGIC E10s as a spare/backup.

*** UPDATE ***
3 months in and I still can't seem to "get on" with these. I've even started to use the silicone buds from my old Sennheisers and the E10s still don't provide the same richness of sound, partly because they don't block out anywhere near as much as my CXs. Will just have to admit defeat and buy a new set of CX-300s. :-(

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Mar 2014 23:22:57 GMT
Andrei says:
Try Fischer Audio Eterna, they are Russian and £90 @ John Lewis or only £30 here on Amazon & highly revered among the audiophile community. In fact the consensus if that you'd have to go £200+ to begin bettering the Fischers.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 12:26:29 GMT
George Stark says:
Thanks for that.

Hmmm...here on Amazon, they have three 5 star reviews but also a couple of negative reviews, stating poor reliability (and one of the reviewers even suggests that the E10s are better). They're being offered by a 3rd party seller for about £30 but Amazon's price is closer to £60. I'm not sure how something John Lewis are selling for £90 can be offered for a third of the price AND be genuine.

My E10s are still in the box, unused since my review and I've been happy with the Sennheisers I replaced them with, ever since. :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›