on 3 June 2013
I have recently discovered The Pineapple Thief - I purchased All The Wars on a whim, having listened to the samples on Amazon. And I was hooked immediately, yet I have still been taken by surprise; not only did I become an instant convert, but TPT's most recent album (and, it would seem, ALL their music) still grows on me.
10 Stories Down is the third of my TPT purchases, and I continue to be impressed. It is often a risk taking a big step back into a band's back catalogue, but in this case, 10 Stories Down did not result in a long drop. TPT are fast becoming a new favourite band.
When my partner overheard Someone Here is Missing (my second TPT purchase) he commented on the similarities to Thom Yorke's solo effort, and I would concur, to some extent. However, I soon became aware of a more appropriate comparison for 10 Stories Down in another member of the Yorke clan. From the album opener, Prey for Me, I was taken back to the days of first hearing Unbelievable Truth (Andy Yorke's band). Indeed I would go so far as to describe TPT as Unbelievable Truth's spiritual successor.
The Radiohead comparisons elsewhere are not inappropriate, but for those familiar with Unbelievable truth, and who feel that Andy Yorke's contributions to music are sadly missed, you may have just found your new muse. Bruce Soord's beautiful vocal is more in line with the younger Yorke brother (let's face it, Thom Yorke is rarely easy on the ear), and the music is similarly immediately accessible, yet grows with the same intimacy, becoming more compelling with each listen.
If you hold Andy Yorke or Unbelievable Truth in high regard, I cannot recommend this to you enough. And 10 Stories Down, whilst perhaps not their best release, is as good a starting point as any other.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details