on 26 April 2008
I had never used a Dyson before and my preconception was that they are massively over-priced for a vacuum cleaner. When my cheap cylinder cleaner finally packed-in I looked around for an upright that was compact but effective and this new DC24 model just caught my eye and I thought I'd give it a chance, though it was about £50 more than my budget. The Amazon deal was the best one I could find. When it arrived the next day I was shocked by how compact it really is. The performance is phenomenal though - it pulls up vastly more dust than my cylinder did and the motorized brush bar is a great advantage. The thing that strikes you most though is how well thought out the whole design is - the little features like converting the handle to a cleaning wand and the ease of emptying the bin are what really makes the cost justifiable. Buy one, you won't regret it!

** Update May 2013 **: It just occurred to me that I've now owned this for over 5 years and it's still working just as well as it did on day one! One extremely minor niggle is that the dust container door-release button stopped working about 3 years ago, so I have to manually open the latch at the bottom when it needs emptying instead of pushing the button at the top - really not a big deal at all. I suppose one other point worth mentioning is that it's mostly been used in large 1-bed flats over these 5 years and the dust container doesn't need emptying until I've done a full sweep of the flat. We're moving to a 3-bed flat and I think it'll now need emptying mid-job, but I'll still probably stick with it as it's easy to lug up the stairs, unlike bigger vacs.
201 people found this helpful