on 5 June 2012
I like non-fiction and I'm interested in the lives of ordinary people. You would think, therefore, that this book should have been right up my street.

Unfortunately, while there were brief dashes of humour in the book, there weren't enough for me. The biscuit joke got almost irritating.

The book, for me, was weighed down too much with describing all the technicalities of working in the NHS. This isn't interesting to someone like me who doesn't work in the NHS. I'm more interested in the doctors interactions with his patients. For me, there wasn't enough focus on this.

When the doctor was interacting with his patients, he unfortunately fit the stereotype I have in my mind of a patronising doctor who thinks he's better than everyone else.

Some of the patients I felt were unfairly victims of his humour and actually showed him in a bad light (I'm thinking particularly of Mr Nickleby)

When there was humour, a few of the stories sounded like unconvincing exaggerations of the truth, which is alright but I was surprised that after years of working as a GP, he doesn't have some better stories.

This book was alright, but I think it could have been a lot more interesting.
What's this?