on 13 October 2012
I had rather reluctantly come round to the idea that outlining was a necessity, having previously held the view that the rather more glamorous seat of the pants style of writing seemed more fun and less work. But I just seemed to be going round in circles and not making any progress.
I had read several outlining books, none of which had inspired me, but the price and the blurb on this one did, adn did the Kindle format. But once downloaded the Table of Contents rather dismayed me by its comprehensivenes, as did the author's forecast of at least three month's of planning the outline. Three months just outlining?
However once I got stuck into it the book is quite easy reading, broken down into logical chapters and sections.
There is good advice on every section of the book and on such areas as characterization and plot.
There is room for you to plot as tightly as you wish - or to leave some room for characters to develop as you write.
It is all clearly laid out, along with clear arguments as to why you should outline rather than not.
There are many interviews from authors with their reasons for plotting.
I would stroingly recommend the book and the author's model for outlining, and I am currently using it myself to re-write my old manuscript in outline form.
0Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?