on 12 October 2011
I paid the full price for this in a high street bookshop and don't begrudge a penny of the expenditure. The recipes are deceptively simple - no esoteric ingredients, most will be in the fridge already, or easily obtained - and they don't take too long to cook. I have already cooked a lot of the dishes and in every case they have been absolutely delicious. Marcella describes how to make fillets from chicken breasts and points out that they can be used in many of the veal recipes. The pasta sauces are a refreshing change from the normal and remind us that vegetables, rather than just tomatoes, can be cooked down to a fabulous coating for pasta. Her recipes using courgettes made me hope for a glut in the veg patch!
For me, the lack of photographs is a delight as I prefer words and drawings, rather than photos of the chef and their friends/family, or stylized food photography.
If you aren't sure about this book because it seems too plain, I would urge you to copy out a recipe and cook it before deciding whether to send it back, as the proof really is in the eating! Personally I expect to be cooking from this book forever and it has joined the ranks of my Jane Grigson and Elizabeth David books.
0Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?