on 18 December 2013
This is one of those books that grew steadily on me from the first page. A present from my wife, I appreciated it because I know, instinctively, that she makes very tasteful choices.

Marr isn't making any pretensions towards great art, or deep or meaningful insights. In fact, throughout, he is gently self-deprecating. But actually, the result is quite a thoughtful meditation on what is going on as he makes squiggles on paper or ipad. As someone who has, for many years, neglected my art in favour of the camera, I find myself absolutely in agreement with his comparisons between the two methods of recording images. Coincidentally, some six months before being given this book, I had recommenced my habit of carrying a small moleskine watercolour notebook around with me, and I can absolutely endorse Marr's value of stolen moments with a pencil, pad and colours.

One of the more negative reviews here comments on the book's brevity - and I think that is actually a positive attribute. I find Marr's voice a very easy one to listen to, but actually the economy when it comes to laying down the text is an admirable feature, that helps one to focus on the value of the image and its creation on paper.

This makes a great present for someone else (just bought a copy for my dad), but it is also quite a useful book which I hope very much to return to.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink