on 18 December 2010
I'm reviewing this book off the back of one meal. I cooked the green lamb curry with the mushroom and pea curry and the Saalad. It was delicious. The lamb green curry was surely the best curry I have ever had. It was amazing and made me look like a curry genius. The mushroom and pea curry was unlike any curry I have ever eaten and would have been the star but for the lamb. Talk about a delicious way to eat your veges. The salad went beautifully. Thanks Madhur, for dinner.

UPDATE: Jan 2015. I have been cooking from this book for 4 years now, on and off. On at the moment. If you have any doubt about whether or not you should buy it, do so. You could structure your family's every meal around this book and never go hungry, or walk away from a meal feeling anything but pleased. Favourites of mine remain the green lamb curry, the kerela chicken curry, spinach chicken curry, the goan dal, the lamb with spices, the lemony lamb mince, the broccoli, the green beans. (Dal freezes wonderfully BTW). However, I have no doubt that these are only my favourites because I have mastered cooking them. Chances are that if isn't wonderful, it's you rather than her, and persist! Because you will prevail. Prior to buying this book I really struggled cooking Indian food. I also never eat Indian out (as she doesn't) - it really makes me sick. This stuff is the real deal though. It's delicious, healthy, modern and economical. Madhur, should you read this, thank you for your work.

PS My only suggestion, and this is not a criticism, is to be aware of your cooking, and your preferences. I like my meat a little more cooked than Madhur, so I cook it longer till it it's right. I also like a little more spice, so I ramp things up when I add them. It's not rocket science. It's cooking.
9 people found this helpful