on 28 June 2012
I had recently be `coerced' into helping out with a local scout group and noticed how my fellow conscripts favoured the classic `tilly' style of hat. I could see the merits of this style of hat, especially on more outward-bound scouting pursuits; however the material that they were made from, seemed dubious to me.
Leather hats went white with sweat (that they induced upon their owner's head) and suffered quite badly in the rain and were uncomfortably heavy. Material hats, though cool and light, absorbed as much rain as sweat and the thought of wearing a `moist' hat didn't really appeal to me. As for suede hats, well all I can say is my wife lives in constant fear of it turning into a chamois cloth at the slightest sign of rain.
It was pure chance, that I discovered this company on Amazon, and decided that as the price of a hat, equated to less than a round of drinks after a meeting, decided to have a punt.
I made the mistake of placing the order over the jubilee weekend, so suffered at the hand of the erratic postal service. To their credit Ana at Amazonas was more than helpful in tracking down the package and always promptly answered my queries and waylaid my concerns. I have to admit it was worth the wait, well packaged, extraordinarily light and totally without peer, my tarp hat arrived.
I have worn this item through a variety of different weather fronts. Bright hot sunny days; the hat provides light weight, shade that didn't make my head run with sweat. Thanks to the British weather, I wore the next day, in torrential rain, the tarp hat now comes into its element, it becomes stiffer and it seemed even more water resistant and with the strategic elastic insert, fairly impervious to gusts of wind (handy).
More importantly, it's different, not your standard `run of the mill' hat, but a hat that provokes a conversation, a hat that I will be buying again.......more than likely over the next week or so, as my wife has demanded one and my fellow conscripts have now revealed that their birthdays are due; soon!
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?