on 4 February 2011
This is a delightful book that gives me great pleasure, whilst being uniquely informative.
I love digging, but have to admit my veg prefer the method in this book. There's still plenty of work to do, but it's work that improves the soil, thereby improving the plants' and ultimately my own health.
Although I am a fairly experienced gardener, I have learned a lot from this book, in fact it's the one I base my planning on now. There are many ideas here which are not found in other books, and just make so much sense - eg, basing your sowing timetable around the cycle of pests and the cycle of growth of each plant, rather than straining to go against nature. Thus you can have caterpillar free broccoli (sown in later summer), and start thinking about the 'role' of slugs and how to prevent too many circulating.
I now just use this book and Joy Larkcom's vegetable book (Grow Your Own Vegetables - all the detail you ever want, and also thoroughly recommended), and have got rid of all my other 'conventional' gardening books.
6 people found this helpful