on 5 April 2013
I bought the iPhone 5 after having the iPhone 4 for a while.

Apple decided to remove most of the back glass for an aluminium design which is great as I won't have to replace the back cover twice. One change however in my opinion is worse, the outer edge of the phone uses a softer metal than the stainless steel used on the previous model, this means if you were to drop your phone the metal will chip and will be more noticeable with the black model as the chip will reveal the silver underneath. However this phone feels more durable than the iPhone 4(S) and there is less worry about watching what surfaces you put it on or if keys in your pocket will scratch it.

I never thought that having a bigger screen by half an inch would make much of a difference but it really does!
The 4 inch screen on the 5 is now what I would say is perfect, I've had a Dell Streak in the past with its 5 inch screen, it was something everyone was impressed with and so was I at first but after a while you felt like you were using a scientific calculator as a phone!
In some apps the 4 inch screen cannot be used to its full potential as the apps haven't been changed to work on a larger screen but it doesn't bother me too much and have been told that most apps will be updated to work.

The most advanced mobile operating system could do with some basic features!
The iOS software is fantastic. I really do love using it compared with the Android and Windows Phone OS's which I have also used (Dell Streak, Nokia Lumia 800) unfortunately apple have forgotten some of the basics such as the user being able to choose a song from an album and set it as a ringtone on the device. Instead you have to go on to iTunes, duplicate the song you want, convert it to AAC format, change it to a 30 second song and then put it in the ringtones folder before syncing the iPhone and changing the ringtone. I had a Nokia 6260 in 2004 which had the capability to "set as ringtone"!!! Now I know my way round a computer but some who don't will have no hope in hell at doing this. Another feature not in iOS is bluetooth data transfers, I remember the days when people were sending the latest crazy frog ringtone to all their mates in the playground at break time! so why can't we do it now!!

Someone needs to re invent the battery.
My iPhone 5 lives by my bedside table at night, every night and on charge, if I failed to do this then the chances of it lasting the next day would be pretty thin. I don't text much (1-5 times a day) and calls maybe an hour or two a day. I do have my phone bluetooth connected to the car for two hours a day and browse the internet for an hour as well. We have more powerful phones with more features and uses but we are still using the same old technology inside the battery as we have for years. Will dual or quad core mobile phones of the future be boosting two batteries to keep it running?

Can the snapshot camera be replaced by the mobile phone?
8 mega pixels on a mobile phone is now pretty much the standard nowadays but somehow the iPhone 5 seems to have the edge compared to other phone manufacturers. I have compared the Nokia Lumia's 8MP Carl Zeiss to the iPhone 5's 8MP camera. The difference between them seem to be so far apart that you wonder what Nokia have been doing! I know there is a price difference between the two phones but the Nokia's Carl Zeiss lens should be up to the task.

So in the end, this iPhone 5 is a phone worth keeping, the iOS software is what does it for me (it's even better on the iPad!) and even the older generation can use it with ease. It never freezes or crashes and only restarts when an update is installing as it should. Maybe Apple can make a phone with a design that wow's but is a little more everyday friendly.
What's this?