5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, can't really fail with its subject matter, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Persona 4 The Animation - Box 1 - Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack (Blu-ray)
I've been playing Persona 4 since its release in 2008 and can honestly say its one of my favourite RPGs of all time - possibly my favourite PS2 RPG, tied with its predecessor Persona 3.

The anime has been a long time coming. I'd always suspected they would do a full-length adaptation of the story, right from the very first FMV cutscene in the actual game. It was so well done that it placed me right in that world, right into Inaba. Five years later and I still don't want to leave. Well, perhaps let's just say I'm reluctant instead. I've reviewed the game itself elsewhere so we won't dwell on that. Instead, let's get right to the heart of the matter: whether this is a decent adptation that fans of the series will appreciate.

And I believe it is.

Here's why:

1) The story: Sorry, but you can't go far wrong when adapting Persona 4's story. No spoilers here, but its really one of the best RPG settings I've ever experienced. And I've played just about every RPG going on that particular console. That's right, even one's not available in the UK. Why? I'm a fan of the genre. And at the time I had disposable income. No longer. More on that that later. Or not. Anyway, moving on.

2) The characters. Seriously, just about everyone in Persona 4 has their own back story, whether they are one of the main cast or (dare I say simply?) one of the Arcana Suits. Heck, even the girl from Aiya gets a significant amount of screen time. Atlus loves its players and that really shows, both in the game and in the anime.

3) The voice actors. That's right, fans and fanettes. They put the band back together. Everyone you knew and loved (vocally, that is) from the original release is back in the anime, with the exception of Chie's VA - Tracey Rooney, whom I must credit here because she was FANTASTIC - and Dave Wittenbery, as Teddie, who was equally as FANTASTIC. In fact, my only real gripe with the show is that it lacks these two major players. Sam Reigel does a decent job as the new Teddie in the anime; there was one point in the first episode, I think it was, that he yelled his lines and I swear to God he was indistinguishable from the original. Other times it isn't the same but meh, its a different guy, that's how it goes. I'm less enthused about Erin Fitzegerald's performance as Chie. Maybe I'm too used to her voice being mature but she doesn't gel right for me. Oh well. Its a small blemish on an otherwise great show.

In conclusion, is this a show worth watching?

Absolutely.

If you're a fan of the game, you should definitely watch it. Even if you're not, pick it up, give it a watch and then play the game. It'll make more sense. Atlus is a company who deserves your support and Kaze definitely deserve props for making such a great adaptation. If you know the game, there are parts in the series that will really make you feel that these guys love it as much as you do. And that's quite a rare commodity.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]