27 of 30 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Pure Evoke D4 Portable Digital DAB/FM Radio with Alarm - Walnut (Electronics)
Bought as a birthday gift for my wife; she loves it. It's used as a bedside clock/radio and (with the optional extra battery pack) in the greenhouse, where she spends hours.
- Sound quality is very pleasing - Not Hi-Fi but smooth & rich, probably as good as possible given the size of the unit.
- Design is perfect - Quality buttons/rotary encoders laid out in a logical manner and a good user interface.
- DAB reception - All station are perfect (in our area) even without the aerial extended.
- Timers - 2 wake-up alarms, sleep timer and kitchen minute minder. Excellent.
- Display - Just enough information. Quality display with very good automatic dimmer.
- Look and feel - Oozes quality. Beautiful wooden finish.
- Remote control. Again, quality remote, not too small and fiddly; nice to use.
- Bluetooth option available (different model) should you need that function.
- Expensive for a mono radio, especially with optional rechargeable battery pack. But we think it's worth it.
- Display doesn't dim quite enough for my wife (who is admittedly extremely sensitive to any light at night) and is dim in bright sunlight. I suspect technology limitations though, rather than Pure design issue.
- Would be nice to have at least six dedicated station preset buttons rather than just 4.
- Would like to be able to use the USB socket as a power outlet (phone charger). It's only use is for software upgrades.
If you want a quality portable clock/radio rather than a cheap piece of plastic with a thin sound, this is a great option. Be prepared to pay for it though!
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Aug 2014, 23:21:02 BST
Mr P says:
have you read the manual? the display can be adjusted to turn off completely. page 16.
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2016, 14:07:34 BST
Thank you, Mr.P. Yes, it turns off completely but the dimmest "on" setting isn't quite dim enough. The "off" setting is too dim!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›