on 30 December 2011
As a "big boned" chap I was given this book on pre order for Christmas by my wife. I have just finished reading it and felt that I should write a review. For those of you who need to lose weight and are fed up being told to "go for a run and eat a bit less" then this book is for you. It is not a diet book but a collection of well researched and analysed theories regarding weight loss and health. John Briffa then looks at the available evidence and puts forward a reasoned argument against many of the standard assumptions. For example he explains why just cutting down food intake may not be the answer and discusses the limitations of the standard diets available especially ones involving calorie counting.
The science in this book is very well explained and easy to understand and I feel that having the background knowledge behind the changes I need to make to my diet will, in the long run, strengthen my resolve. I will also be able to explain to my mates exactly why joining them at the gym may not be the answer to our weight loss, although when combined with the suggestions in this book it will result in a fitter me. I also think that this book removes some of the guilt of failing to lose weight in the past despite following various plans by explaining why you may have failed and what to do about it.
There are sections in the book that also discuss the power of marketing and big food producers behind the availability of foods in supermarkets that have certainly informed my shopping practice for the better.
In summary do not buy this is you want a formulaic diet planning book but do buy it if you want to make simple changes to your diet that will change your life for good.
0Comment| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?