4.0 out of 5 stars A different review for your peace of mind...., 14 April 2012
This review is from: ASUS EeePad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1 inch Tablet with Keyboard/Dock - Grey (Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad Core 1.3GHz, RAM 1GB, Storage 32GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 3.2) (Personal Computers)
If you want information about what the Asus Prime can do for you then please read another review or a third party review. What I hope to do is answer the concerns that some may have as to buying this product in light of the reports of certain issues (such as WiFi and GPS etc) that may actually prevent readers from purchasing:
I have just bought the Prime from Amazon and spent a few days evaluating those reports but one notable piece of info is that my product starts with the serial number 'C3'. This, as some may be aware, is the reported batch of Primes (and onwards) where the issues previously raised have been addressed 'in factory'. I have made the following positive conclusions:

WiFi: The wifi range was PREVIOUSLY reported as being inadequate in that the range was poor resulting in a week signal pickup. I am pleased to confirm that I definitely have no WiFi issues at all and after significant testing, using the same WiFi analysis tools on other android and portable devices, the PRIME that I have (C3 serial number batch) has no WiFi issues at all. In fact, It has the strongest WiFi signal of any other device other than my DELL XPS Laptop. This is quite an improvement over those previous versions and it seems that the WiFi issue has been addressed accordingly 'back at the factory' with these newer models. I have noticed that the WiFi does use a little more power consumption than my other devices but not a great deal more and certainly to no detriment to advertised battery life.

ICS: Ice Cream Sandwich came pre-installed out of the box with no need for an update upon powering the device for the first time other than a firmware update, which addressed several minor concerns / glitches with some apps and I can confirm that I have had no Forced Closures so far.

Dead Pixels: A few users had reported a higher than average 'dead pixel count' but I can confirm that my testing has shown evidence to back up the reports that this has been addressed at the factory by way of improved QA.

Light Bleed: Some reports of light bleed on previous models (Where a faint white light can be seen at the border of the screen when a back picture is displayed. I have tested and have no such issues. Again, as mentioned above, the improved QA was to address this.

GPS: My GPS is poor. This is the one issue that has not been possible to rectify by Asus it seems as it is completely hardware based. However, I do still get a signal outside but I am not a big GPS user and often just keep it switched off to add more battery life anyway. I am aware that Asus are sending a small GPS dongle that snugly fits in the bottom of the machine as a fix to all users... great news.

In conclusion, I am delighted with this device. It seems that the only models on sale in the UK, certainly from Amazon, are the C3 versions which have, from my research and personal findings, addressed all the issues, although I should imagine that as with all electronic products, a small percentage of faulty items will still get though to market. Please rest assured that I have never been happier with a product. It looks great, responds extremely well, and I continually amazed from day to day at how many tasks this has taken away from my PC, Mac and laptops. I bought from Amazon particularly because I know it is so easy to return items and at the time of the purchase, I was not 100%. If you need GPS then please be aware that Asus will be providing the small dongles to buyers from the 16th April..... as for me, I am loving this and pleased that I did so much research before buying... I hope that this saves you carrying out the same!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Apr 2012 15:53:16 BDT
RtheB says:
Thank you very much for the info regarding the GPS dongle. Even though I haven't used the GPS function on my Transformer much up to now, it is something I know I will need in the near future. It's nice to know Asus are taking the time and trouble to rectify the GPS problem some users may be experiencing. I checked the Asus website and it took seconds for them to confirm they will be sending me the dongle as soon as possible. Thanks once again.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 17:12:35 BDT
D. Bowden says:
I'm pleased that it was of help to you and I agree that there are not many companies that would show such commitment to their customers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›