VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This had instant appeal for my two girls (aged 6 and 7) because of its bright funky colours and interchangeable fascias, and also because it was just like Mummys! Included in the package you'll find the toothbrush handle (which must be charged on the base unit for 24 hours), two toothbrush heads (one suitable for ages 4 and over, the other for the over 7s). , and three fascias to choose from. There is also quite a detailed instruction sheet.

Unlike my grown-up Sonicare, this one doesn't roll around when you lie it down flat which makes it easier for small people to put on the toothpaste themselves. A good idea! Never mind what it looks like, and how easy it is to put the toothpaste on though. The key thing with a toothbrush is how well it cleans teeth. Well, my children and I all agree that this gets 5 stars! There are two settings (selected by the bottom button), a gentle one for younger children/learners, and a more intense one for experts. We've started on the gentler one, and I think it is a good idea to ease gently into using an electric brush. My girls are happy for me to clean their teeth for them using this - much happier in fact than when I've been using an ordinary brush. At intervals, the toothbrush plays a little tune to tell you to move on to a different part of the mouth, and then when all four areas are covered, you get a longer tune and the brush turns itself off. The toothbrush gradually increases the time spent brushing over the first few uses until you are at the 2 minutes recommended by dentists. My girls have also been keen to try out cleaning their teeth on their own, and I was impressed by how easy it was for them - easier than a manual brush. I think it is because you don't need to make such vigorous movements or scrub so hard with an electric brush, instead letting the brush do its work. When not in use, the toothbrush heads can be stored on dedicated plastic pegs on the charger itself, and if travelling, you can just take the charger bit and leave the larger plastic section with the pegs on behind. Incidentally, the charger also charges my adult Sonicare brush (quite a new model though - won't work with older ones).

As with most items of this type, replacement brush heads don't come cheap so the ongoing costs of these need to be considered, particularly as you should replace the heads every three months. Here are the links to the relevant brushes on Amazon so you can see what the cost will be.
Philips HX6032/05 Sonicare For Kids Brush heads
Philips HX6042/05 Two Replacement Brush Heads - Red and Blue

This product is very child friendly and makes what can be a tricky job much easier to do properly. Never before have I seen my daughters sprinting up the stairs with enthusiastic cries of "come on Mummy, let's go and clean our teeth" . Definitely recommended and five stars from us.

*I will update this review when we have next seen the dentist to see what he thinks about the state of my daughters' teeth.
0Comment| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?