VINE VOICEon 3 October 2013
I can't be too hard on this bluffer's guide since it made me laugh out loud. I particularly liked the advice on how to behave at readings and poetry slams - wait for a pause in proceedings then ask, 'Have you got anything by Eleanor Farjeon?'
On the downside, there is far too much Eighteenth century poetry and not enough contemporary stuff. Pam Ayres gets a mention in the introduction but there are no excerpts from I Wish I'd Looked After My Teeth (or Wendy Cope or When I Am Old I Shall Wear Purple). You do get Sir Walter Raleigh, The Faerie Queen and W.H. Davies. If I was being cynical I would say this was because living poets expect to get paid for having their work quoted.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink